Folk-Book
NEW Social Network for Arts. Music. Families. Fans. Ad-FREE click here

Why is this a great idea to be involved in?

Because it involves you, your local radio station and your local artists together with your audience in a very hometown way. It elevates public awareness of the wonderful talent that your hometown has to offer. It endears you to your regional artist community. It ties your local event into the national stage of the WoodSongs Old-Time Radio Hour — plus, its fun!

return to top

We already present music at a coffeehouse or club. Can I simply change it to a WoodSongs Coffeehouse?

Absolutely! You've already put most of the idea in motion. Once you have officially signed up, you can begin promoting the coffeehouse in your community right away.

return to top

Is the WoodSongs Coffeehouse broadcast on the WoodSongs Old-Time Radio Hour?

No. The WoodSongs Coffeehouse is a local performance chapter just for your hometown. It puts the spirit and ideas of the national show into practice on a hometown level. It is not meant to be aired on the WoodSongs Old-Time Radio Hour or on local radio.

However, folksinger Michael Johnathon will announce your chapter on the air and you will listed on the Current Coffeehouses page of our website!

return to top

Can the local WoodSongs Coffeehouse be aired by our local station if we want it to?

Maybe. This is a great idea and many local stations would be happy to help. This is a unique way for the station to be involved in the artist community of their broadcast areas as well as providing a much needed service to their listeners. However, the coffeehouse can flourish just fine as a normal performance venue, even if you don't have a local affiliate airing the WoodSongs Old-Time Radio Hour. However, the WoodSongs name is trademarked, which we let the local coffeehouse use for free. The problem is having the WdSongs name compete with it's own identity. If you want to broadcast the local coffeehouse, simply contact us first and send us a sample of the pilot so we can make sure no one is stepping on anyone else's toes.

return to top

The WoodSongs Old-Time Radio Hour doesn't air yet in my hometown. I'll call the program director to see if the station can pick up the show (we send the show FREE to radio stations). In the meantime, can I start a WoodSongs Coffeehouse anyway?

Of course. Simply sign up first. Michael will announce your coffeehouse on the national broadcast and we will list you on our website.

return to top

I want to be involved but I have never done something like this before. What can you do to help?

Once you sign up we will send you a WoodSongs Coffeehouse kit complete with a logo and artwork for posters, permission to use it, suggestions on approaching the media and local newspapers for support, a sample press release, a sample hand out sheet, what kind of artists to book, and other helpful materials. We will also list your chapter on the WoodSongs Coffeehouse website.

return to top

What kind of artists should we book on the Coffeehouse?

Like the radio show, any good and passionate artists from the blues to bluegrass, country or Celtic, old-timey or new song/songwriters even poetry and storytelling can be featured. We recommend booking only acoustic artists to keep the presentation as simple as possible. We also recommend that you book artists who have already appeared on the national broadcast (see the WoodSongs general store for a listing) who might be traveling through your area. What great experience these artists can bring to your hometown and share with other artists and your audience!

return to top